The International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) is organized into various work groups (WG). WG 5.4, Computer Aided Innovation (CAI), was formed in 2005 with the following aims:
(1) Identify the underlying scientific foundations of CAI and to evaluate their effectiveness and efficiency
(2) Identify the state of the art and trends of CAI software and its tools and methods by discussing organizational, technological and cognitive aspects of the application of CAI methods and tools
(3) To promote the development of Computer Aided Innovation Software focusing on end-to-end product creation process with methods and tools to ensure the feasibility and success of innovations
(4) To address the main motivations of the industrial sector, regarding the engineering innovation activity with computer tools and methods
(5) To address the main motivations of the academic community regarding theoretical foundations of computer aided innovation
Dr. Slocum is excited to be an integral part of this activity. The transition from innovation as art to innovation as both art and science is an exciting field. Characterizing innovation with CAx tools and methods is a key element of this successful transition.